Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Everyday Minerals Brushes

Long time readers will know I haven't much time for Sigma brushes, thanks to this and this. The eye brushes are not bad, but the face brushes - in my experience - are pretty craptacular. However, I had been considering the Sigmax brushes, as even people who had previously disliked their standard brushes said these were good.

While cleaning out a drawer the other day I found some Everyday Minerals face brushes I had forgotten about, and they seem like a pretty close dupe of the Sigmax ones (well actually, these are pre-Sigmax, so technically the Sigma ones are the dupes). I used to buy a lot of things from EDM, but it's one of those indie companies that seemed to be endlessly surrounded by drama, and the owner's habit of putting pictures of herself EVERYWHERE irked me no end. With every order there would be 2 or 3 postcards featuring photographs of her, and when you go to the website there she is again. I don't know why it bugs me, but it REALLY bugs me. Anyway, the point is I drifted away and kind of forgot about them, but I have to give credit where it's due - the brushes are really nice. These are the ones I have.


concealer brush, pencil/smudge brush, flat shader brush, angled fluffy brush


Although EDM is primarily powder products and presumably that's what these brushes are meant for, the concealer brush in particular is great for cream products. It has a bit of a pointy end so you can get right into the corners. I don't use the pencil/smudge brush much, but it would be good for someone who puts a bit of eyeshadow under the eyes (I don't - it would draw attention to the dark circles and the lines). Again, the flat shader brush is good for cream eyeshadows, and powders of course. I've never really used the angled fluffy brush much - it's very soft and I've never quite figured out how to use it effectively. Something to work on this year, I suppose.


eye kabukis and junior eye kabukis


I think I first heard about these from Anissa. I bought one of the eye kabukis and loved it so much that I bought another one. The junior eye kabukis both came with eyeshadow kits. The eye kabukis are soft and very dense, and fantastic for blending and softening shadows - if you've been a bit heavy-handed in the crease these are great for toning it down. Because of their density they're not great for precise blending as they do tend to remove some of the eyeshadow if you go crazy with them. I use the junior eye kabukis for applying a highlight to the inner corners, and also for blending concealers and cream highlighters like Touche Éclat. Of all my EDM brushes, these ones get the most use and are in constant rotation where I'm using one while waiting to wash the other one.


flat top kabuki, round top kabuki, angled kabuki


These look like Sigmax brushes, don't they? Not sure what's going on with the shiny shininess there - they don't look like that in person. It's very overcast here today so my flash might just be going nutso. These are suuuuper soft and dense and lovely for applying either powder or cream products. I use the flat top kabuki for cream foundation, the round top for a light brush of powder when necessary (I hate powder, so I only use it if I have to and with a really light hand), and the angled brush with both cream and powder blushes.

All of these brushes are very soft, very dense and very sturdy. The handles are made from bamboo. I've had most of these for several years, but most of them are still available and range between $6US-$12US.

8 comments:

  1. O_O these look amazing! i've never even considered buying anything from the edm site, but i am now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From memory the shipping was always pretty low too, unless that has changed (hope not). Their eyeshadows are nice too. No real startling colours, mostly a lot of neutrals and muted shades, but nicely pigmented. :-)

      Delete
  2. These brushes do look great! I'm not familiar with Sigma brushes I guess, so I didn't realize they aren't all that great. Good thing there are other options out there! I didn't realize EDM had drama surrounding them. I haven't ever bought anything from them and to tell you the truth, I've never even broswed their site. I'm going to have to now to see this annoying owner :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There used to be a forum on the site and the owner started censoring it and then shut it down completely, and the community had a meltdown. There was also some palaver over the formula of the powder foundations changing, and then the free kit things being taken away - it was always something.

      Delete
  3. Those eye kabukis look good.... if only I didn't already own sooo many brushes that I don't use enough of! Have become very lazy with my day to day makeup & don't even wear eyeshadow anymore, thanks to the mac paint pots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I know what you mean - during the week it's pretty much a quick swipe with a Benefit Creaseless Cream shadow and out the door for me!

      Delete
  4. Oooh! I LOVE the look of those eye kabukis. Future purchase, perhaps? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think those are my favourite brushes of all time - they get so much use. I'm tempted to buy more because when you wash them they take a while to dry as they're so dense.

      Delete